Re: [xsl] Entity References

Subject: Re: [xsl] Entity References
From: "Rob Lugt" <roblugt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:32:47 +0100

Werner Hager wrote:

> I've just recently joined and it looks like there is a lot of useful
> information going around.   Maybe I can get some ideas about my particular
> problem.   I'm writing an XSLT to transform one MathML Document to another
> MathML Document with the addition of some formatting tags so it prints
> better on a braille printer.   The issue is the special entities that are
> used in MathML.  Since a MathML document doesn't need to declare their
> entities, I think my processor is having problems with them.   Here is the
> sample MathML Document:
>
> <mrow>
>  <snipped/>
> </mrow>
>
> I'm using Xalan-Java for testing puposes, but I want it to work with MSXSL
> as well (I want most of the process to be invisible to the user)   With
> Xalan, I get the error [the entity "InvisibleTimes" was referenced but not
> declared].   MathML has a large number of these entities...   Any ideas
how
> I can copy them into the result tree?

You don't appear to be including a reference to the MathML DTD in your XML
document.  I presume you have downloaded the DTD from
http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/

If you add a DOCTYPE declaration, then the XML parser should be able to
resolve the entities correctly.  The following works ok on my system:-

<!DOCTYPE mrow SYSTEM "file:///c:/xml/MathML/dtd/mathml2.dtd">
<mrow>
   <mfenced>
      <mrow>
         <mi>x</mi>