[xsl] How do you prevent ' from being escaped within an attribute value

Subject: [xsl] How do you prevent ' from being escaped within an attribute value
From: "Jonathan Miller" <jhmiller001@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:21:07 -0400

How do you prevent &apos; from being escaped in an attribute value?

For example:

===================================
XML input:
===================================
<values person="John Doe"/>

===================================
XSL input:
===================================

<xsl:stylesheet
  version="1.0">

  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

  <xsl:template match="values">
    <xsl:variable name="person" select="string(./@person)"/>

    <xsl:variable name="Tree">
      <QUERY where="NAME LIKE &apos;{$person}&apos;"></QUERY>
    </xsl:variable>

    <xsl:copy-of select="$Tree"/>

  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

====================================
Output:
====================================
<QUERY where="NAME LIKE 'John Doe'"/>

I have tried many different variations of the above example and I can't seem
to achieve the desired output of:
<QUERY where="NAME LIKE &apos;John Doe&apos;"/>

If I use another escaped character such as &amp; the output will be:
<QUERY where="NAME LIKE &amp;John Doe&amp;"/>
>From the XML spec I gather this has something to do with the fact that it is
an attribute.

If a quick fix isn't available, is there a way to access XSL variables from
within a CDATA section.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon