Re: [xsl] MSXML - Processing non standard characters

Subject: Re: [xsl] MSXML - Processing non standard characters
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:27:51 -0400

Warren:

You're hosed. Your data coming in isn't XML, much as it may claim to be.

If it's not UTF-8 or UTF-16, and it doesn't include an encoding declaration saying what it is, it's too much to expect any processor to handle it.

Nothing you do with your stylesheet will help. Saying it's Unicode when it's not (which is effectively what's happening now) won't help either.

If I were you, I'd shout up the line. It's like someone saying to a carpenter "your job is to build mahogany desks" and then providing rubber tires as raw material. The tools just won't do it. (Getting them to put an XML declaration on those files with a correct encoding declaration on it, would give you a chance.)

Cheers,
Wendell