Re: [xsl] getting XSL to ignore a line

Subject: Re: [xsl] getting XSL to ignore a line
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:57:11 +0100

Hi Samina,

> How can I get the XSL stylesheet to "skip over" the line that says:
> <!DOCTYPE moreovernews (View Source for full doctype...)> ? I do not
> need this in my output.
>
> The error I am getting says:
>
> XSL Error: Could not parse file:C:/page4.xml document!
> XSLT: connect <code=10060>
> Xalan: was not successful.

The error you're getting is arising during the *parse* of the XML
document. It might be that the XML document isn't well-formed, but if
you're seeing what you're reporting in IE, then it is. So I guess it's
because your XML document isn't valid according to the DTD that you
have associated with it.

The XSLT processor (Xalan in your case) calls an XML parser (usually
Xerces with Xalan) to read the XML document. The parser reads the
document, comes across the DOCTYPE declaration and tests the contents
of the document against the DTD that's pointed to. The best solution
is to correct the document or the DTD so that the document is valid.
Alternatively, you could remove the DOCTYPE declaration from the
document or possibly tell the parser not to validate the document
(though I can't see a command line parameter that allows you to do
that).

In any case, it's not a problem with the XSLT - your document is never
reaching the stylesheet, and even if it did the stylesheet itself
ignores the DOCTYPE declaration anyway.

Cheers,

Jeni

---