Re: [xsl] Constraint Searching in XML via XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Constraint Searching in XML via XSLT
From: Joel Beach <j.beach@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:06:27 +1000

At 10:27 AM 7/19/2001 +1000, you wrote:
<snip>

Basically, I want to input one or more values for TrialName, Rainfall, SoilType, CropType, RegionName and so on. I can implement it fine for one constraint, where I have one top-level parameter for the value I want to search for. The constraint to be searched for was fixed.

However, the way I did it before was like this:

* Make a template which matches only on a TrialID whose constraint is equal to the value specified in the top-level parameter. (Just using <xsl:template> with the match attribute)

I don't think this will work for a more complex case.

I hate to answer my own question, but it would be better to just apply a number of transformations and concatenate together? The final template, should, of course convert to HTML, but other maybe just go from XML to XML?

So, my questions are these.

1. If a constraint is not specified, how do I get the XSLT stylesheet to match all elements?

If I did it that way, I would only specify transformations for constraints entered. Then I'd just concat all the transformations at the end, the last one doing XML-HTML conversion and sorting.

Joel

2. In the case of rainfall, I want to allow users to specify a rainfall *range*. Is it possible to do this in XSLT? I had a look and there seem to be < and > operators.

3. Should I be using <xsl:choose> and <xsl:if> instead of <xsl:template> for this sort of stuff?

Thanks everyone!!!

Joel