Learning syntax (was Re: [xsl] Node vs TreeFragment)

Subject: Learning syntax (was Re: [xsl] Node vs TreeFragment)
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:36:10 +0100

Mikal and everyone,

Maybe this is a good time to remind folks (and tell new folks) that on the Mulberry web site is a handy-dandy, two-page (or one page, double-sided) XSLT Quick Reference, the perusal of which can provide answers, or at least clues, to all such nitty syntax questions. All standard XSLT/XPath constructions are listed, with citations of the relevant spec for those who want to look them up.

See http://www.mulberrytech.com/quickref/. It's in PDF format, to be printed on US legal-size paper (8.5" x 14", but I hear it shrinks nicely to A4 using Acrobat's shrink-to-page feature).

Cheers,
Wendell

At 06:06 PM 6/8/01, Mikal wrote:
> Xselerator from
> Marrosoft.

Haven't been able to find it via websearch. URL maybe?

> > <xsl:variable name="theData" select="someParent/someNode[@a='aKey' and
> > @b='bKey' and @c='cKey']/data" />
> >

> Yes, you've guessed the syntax correctly.
>
> But couldn't you have (a) looked it up in a book, or (b) tried it on an XSLT
> processor? Asking the list is a pretty inefficient mechanism compared with
> either of these.
>
> Mike Kay

Wel, not really Mike ... given that I've never used XML/XSL and the books don't reference the syntax ... I have yet to see and example of an "and" in xml or xsl reading, and tools that I'm using balk at what I've typed. I typed the "and" above as pseudocode.