Re: [xsl] apply-templates, rule-based, and saxon - REPLY

Subject: Re: [xsl] apply-templates, rule-based, and saxon - REPLY
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 18:24:26 -0400

[kfricovsky]

> But isn't this conflicting to the philosophy behind template rules,
> unless I am wrong in my thinking: only if you specify a template rule
> will that element be matched and displayed in the output? Or, do I need
> to match on every element in the source document?

There is a "default template" that matches any element and is used when
there is no other matching template.  So you get it (recursively) when you
call xsl:apply-templates.  I think that the idea was to give you some way to
view an xml file when you didn't know anything about it beforehand.

Cheers,

Tom P