[xsl] recursive problem with full path and position info

Subject: [xsl] recursive problem with full path and position info
From: Dan Diebolt <dandiebolt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 08:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

Given this XML:

<root>
  <a>
    <b>1</b>
    <b>2</b>
  </a>
  <a>
    <b>3</b>
    <b>4</b>
  </a>
</root>

I need to synthesize the following text output file:

root(1).a(1).b(1)='1'
root(1).a(1).b(2)='2'
root(1).a(2).b(1)='3'
root(1).a(2).b(2)='4'

How would you approach this problem? I do not know *any* of the tag
names ahead of time. I have an approach that works which matches
on the leaf nodes with child::*[not(child::*)] and crawls up, but
it is very slow and I don't think it is the correct approach. I
think I need a strategy that matches from the top and decends.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dan