RE: [xsl]Jumping out a loop AND Starting loop at another node

Subject: RE: [xsl]Jumping out a loop AND Starting loop at another node
From: Patrick Moore <patrickm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:51:12 -0700

Hi Tanz and David,

I had this same kind of problem that you are running into. This is
essentially a grouping problem (look at http://www.jenitennison.com ).
Continuing what David says, XSLT is like SQL not like a scripting language
or Java. That is to say 1) it is not a "complete" language (There are things
that are simply impossible to do in XSLT); and 2) it is a FUNCTIONAL
language. In a FUNCTIONAl language you are NOT telling the XSLT processor
HOW to do what you need done, but rather WHAT you need done. It is up to the
processor to determine what is the best way to achieve your desired result.

Now having said this, I believe you are wrong, David.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt11/#for-each clearly states that the nodes are
PROCESSED in document order. Not just outputed in document order.

-Pat