[xsl] Is XML/XSL the right direction and if so where next.

Subject: [xsl] Is XML/XSL the right direction and if so where next.
From: "Sara Christie" <sara_christie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:02:17 +0000

The background:
I am looking at ways of keeping large MSWord documents up to date on our Intranet. I am talking about manuals, training documentation and procudures which often include lots of graphics, tables and special formatting as well as bulk text. These documents are regularly updated and currently sent out in MSWord format.

In my limited experience in this area I have used XSL to produce a web page from XML. My understanding of XML is that it can be transposed into multiple formats and certainly into text. However Im not so sure about MSWord.

I have tried the various FAQs and a few of the newsgroups but it strikes me that though the XML->web part is relatively straight froward it is this whole MSWord part which is going to be a headache. Its own HTML converter using so called XML leaves a lot to be desired!

Therefore my question is:
Can I have an XML file which can be administered from MS Word (that being the tool of choice of the administrator) but which is also used with stylesheets (XSL) to display the content on the web. Any helpful suggestions on how to achieve this and alternative methods would be greatly appreciated. I am very keen to not re-invent the wheel nor to attempt the impossible.

Many Thanks for your help in advance,
Sara