RE: [xsl] Re: namespace values

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: namespace values
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:23:59 -0500

Wendell Piez wrote:

> At 02:27 AM 3/13/01 -0800, Dimitre wrote:
> >Anybody has the right to invent a totally new language for processing
> >XML documents. The danger is not to really start thinking this
> is standard
> >XSLT and mixing the two together.
>
> This is why names (and namespaces) are so important -- clarity at this
> higher level is a key problem for keeping the technologies usable and
> maintainable. But that is only to say that "EXSLT better not call itself
> XSLT, or XSL as a whole will suffer" -- something we know very
> well (having
> been badly burned by a popular implementation of the December 1998 draft
> that was unclear in exactly these respects).

But to be perfectly clear realize that EXSLT is completely conformant to
XSLT 1.0, which explicitly provides for namespace qualified extension
elements and functions (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#extension). What XSLT 1.0
has left up to the implemention is a mechanism for -implementing- such
extensions. However, if a group of XSLT implementors happen to get together
and standardize such implemention details this is not prohibited by XSLT
1.0, either.

-Jonathan