RE: [xsl] splitting one xml into many xml documents using xsl

Subject: RE: [xsl] splitting one xml into many xml documents using xsl
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 13:14:05 -0000

> The problem with that ist that they all have different and
> sometimes unpleasant failure modes, so i want to present an
> alternative solution: write everything to one file and use
> another tool to split this file.

I have to say I don't like solutions that rely on magic characters in the
output file, it's OK for a one-off hack but not for production use.

What is a reasonable alternative, though, is to write a splitting SAX filter
to process the output: most Java processors will write output to a
user-supplied ContentHandler, and you can insert a processing instruction
into the event stream to cause this to switch output to a new destination.

Mike Kay
Software AG