RE: [xsl] Rick Jelliffe's comment on XPath 2.0

Subject: RE: [xsl] Rick Jelliffe's comment on XPath 2.0
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:36:45 -0000

Miloslav Nic
> This Saturday a very interesting mail by Rick Jellife
> concerning XPath 2.0 appeared at xml-dev :
>
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200102/msg00411.html
>
> Especially:
>
> But the killer is #5 "Should Add Support for XML Schema: Structures."
> That is the point where it requires a PSVI.

PSVI = Post-Schema-Validation Infoset btw.
(I thought it was Public Service Vehicle Inspection!)

Probably fine for someone using XSLT in a schema based environment,
but I just hope that users and implementors are allowed to segregate this
from
DTD based / well formed only type of documents.

I fully agree with Ricks sentiment, keep XML slick and sensible
for maximum use, and let XSLT follow that. If the schema folks want
that form of bloat, they should be allowed their own playground,
perhaps as an extension suite peculiar to their needs, certainly not
as part of standard xpath.

I don't recall *anyone* on this list asking for schema based type checking.
Its notable that there is no use case for this aspect in the 2.0 stuff.

XML query would appear to be taking this line as well.

I wonder if the Schema spin doctors have been on the road?

Regards DaveP