Re: [xsl] Calling java application during a parsing

Subject: Re: [xsl] Calling java application during a parsing
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:36:45 -0700 (MST)

David Delgranche wrote:
> I have a question without knowing if it's an XSLT question or more a
> xalan question. I hope someone would help me.
> I have two XML schemas linking with an <xsl:include
> href="secondSchema.xsd"/> in the first one. My question is:

xsl:include is for combining stylesheets.

> 	Is it possible in an xslt stylesheet to invoque a java parser command
> when finding the xsl:include tag?

In some situations you can invoke java methods using extension functions,
but xsl:include does not allow functions as arguments, including extension
functions.

As Eric mentioned, it sounds like you want to use the document() function
to access the root nodes of 2 different XML documents.

<!-- use variables for convenience -->
<xsl:variable name="schema1Root" select="document('firstschema.xsd')"/>
<xsl:variable name="schema2Root" select="document('firstschema.xsd')"/>
<xsl:variable name="schema1Param" select="$schema1Root/path/to/parameter"/>

<!-- nodes with string values matching the parameter node's string value -->
<xsl:for-each select="$schema2Root/path/to/nodes[.=$schema1Param]">
</xsl:for-each>

<!-- element nodes with names matching the parameter node's string value -->
<xsl:for-each select="$schema2Root/path/to/nodes[name()=$schema1Param]">
</xsl:for-each>

...just as an example.

   - Mike