RE: Inline (embedded) XSL within XML document

Subject: RE: Inline (embedded) XSL within XML document
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:21:02 -0000

> Thank you for your response. If I use your example and create
> the following
> XML document, the template match element (notvalidelement) is being
> processed even though the element name does not match a
> document element. If
> I separate the XML and XSL documents, the template match
> element is not
> processed.

I suspect the relevant <xsl:template> element is being processed as part of
the source document, not as part of the stylesheet. The XSLT spec explicitly
warns you about this. You need a template rule such as <xsl:template
match="xsl:*"/> to prevent the stylesheet being treated as part of the
source.

Incidentally, embedded stylesheets are supported in Saxon 5.5.1 but not in
Saxon 6.0 or 6.0.1. I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone
complained: no-one has, as yet. I think the spec doesn't make it a
conformance requirement. It's quite tricky to implement, for example because
you have to parse the source document before you know which elements to
xsl:strip-space, and because namespace declarations occurring outside the
xsl:stylesheet element are still significant. As for xsl:including an
embedded stylesheet....

Mike Kay