xmlinst problems

Subject: xmlinst problems
From: Edward J Buckley <E.J.Buckley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:20:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

I have been attempting to install the MSXML3 parser upgrade.  I am running
IE5.5 on Windows 2000.

I have installed the actual upgrade, which works fine - the test program
on the the Unofficial MSXML page parses XML with XSL perfectly.

However, to get the new parser working in IE is a major headache.  I
downloaded xmlinst.exe from the MS website.
The first problem with this is that by the looks of it the downloaded .exe
is a self-extracting zip file.  When the file is run, no messages are
displayed or files created.  Opening the file in WinZip, and trying to
extract files produces file offset errors.  Maybe a corrupt file?

Running the 4 required command line commands does not work:
xmlinst -u
regsvr32 /u msxml
regsvr32 msxml3
xlminst

The xlminst command doesn't work, as when IE is next loaded XML pages
cannot be loaded at all as IE does not know about XML, XSL etc files - I
am asked if I want to download the file.  The registry entries for the
msxml entries must therefore not have been updated to the msxml3 dll.  So
when msxml.dll is unregistered IE can't find its XML parser.

I've searched this list, I can't find anyone that has had the same
problem.

Many thanks,
Ed.