conditional inclusions2

Subject: conditional inclusions2
From: Ronald <ronald@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:57:28 -0400 (EST)

Apologies if I'm wrong, but there may be some confusion on your part. If you
wish to use *data* in other files as the source of your transformation, you
use the document() function. There is more on this function in the FAQ or
Michael Kays book (an essential purchase, by the way). On the other hand,
import or include are used in XSL *to bring in other XSL*. Your use of the
".xml" suffix in your examples suggests you want to bring in data.

If in fact you are trying to bring in XSL code, the following may be
helpful: Both xsl:include or xsl:import must be top level elements in the
XSL file (as an aside, they differ only in the way they handle import
precedence). Therefore they cannot be part of a conditional construct as
they must be children of the xsl:stylesheet element (or its synonym
xsl:transformation), and you cannot put them in an xsl:choose or xsl:if.

The approach I have used in a recent project is to *unconditionally* import
all the other stylesheets, and use them *conditionally*. So the correct
template(s), once imported, are invoked inside conditional statements using
xsl:apply-templates or xsl:call-template.
Thanx for your reply Dylan and yes U'r so right. We mixed up a couple of things here.

What I'm actually now doing is something like:
<xsl:template match="if">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="@include='1'">
<xsl:apply-templates select="document('file1.xml')"/>
</xsl:when>
<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:apply-templates select="document('file2.xml')"/>
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

My question was not as clear as it should have been, though I'm not sure it'll be different this time :-(
The input tree for the transformation depends on values of attributes (at least in this case, we also use external parameters). Our concern was that we may not have full control over a tree that is dynamically constructed.
The example I gave above actually did the trick, but I have some concerns about to what level we can use constructions like these.

We may also want to use "conditional xsl" in the future. The approach you give (unconditionally import etc) is probably the technique we have to use as well.
Too bad you can't "sub-render" conditional xml entities before you insert them in the actuall output tree.
Or can you?

Rh

Ronald Heller
Salience BV