Re: XSL-list doomed.

Subject: Re: XSL-list doomed.
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:01:51 -0400 (EST)

DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Paul Tchistopolskii
> > If nobody cares about supporting XSL
> > mailing list, maybe placing the list on
> > e-groups is not a bad idea ?
>
> I'd prefer Tony's support to the crap advertisements on egroups.

And if you really want to see what *zero* support is like, eGroups will be
happy to provide a demonstration. I've got an external list that they've
been archiving, except something on their end broke in April. There are
about a dozen other things that are screwed up, and I can't get them to
respond, let alone fix or remove anything. If you really need a reason not
to support eGroups, check out paragraph 11 of their terms of service, at
http://www.egroups.com/info/tos.html. Anything you post to an eGroups list
becomes theirs to do with as they please in perpetuity.

Running a mailing list requires at least a couple hours a week from the
administrator. I know this firsthand. Tony is a saint for putting as much
effort as he does into the list.

I have in the past offered to Tony the option of moving the list to an
Apache project server, but he declined. I'll extend the offer again. The
list would be handled by qmail rather than sendmail, for speedy message
delivery, and ezmlm list management instead of majordomo, for security and
automated bounce handling. Archives would be accessible as raw monthly
mbox files, individual messages retrievable via ezmlm's email interface,
and a web interface would be set up using EyeBrowse ...
http://eyebrowse.tigris.org/ .. as soon as the first stable beta is ready.
And he'd still be in charge of it.

He seems happy with his ISP's service, though. :)

   - Mike