Re: Which engine? (RE: JavaScript and XSL)

Subject: Re: Which engine? (RE: JavaScript and XSL)
From: "Steve Muench" <smuench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:03:02 -0700

| After I realized that SAXON ( which is very good
| engine) makes hidden RTF->node-set typecast
| ( the thing MS were blamed for ),  I feel not
| comfortable when somebody says
| 'conformant XSLT engine'  in public place.

This appears to have changed between Saxon 5.4 and Saxon 5.5
I went back and tested the following stylesheet with Saxon 5.4...

<test xsl:version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
  <xsl:value-of select="$x/one/two"/>
</test>

and Saxon 5.4 yields:

  At xsl:value-of on line 4 of file:/C:/TEMP/test.xsl:
  Cannot convert value [** RESULT TREE FRAGMENT **] to a node-set

While Saxon 5.5 or 5.5.1 yields:

  <test>three</test>

The September 2000 MSXSL yields:

  Reference to variable or parameter 'x' must evaluate to a node list.

Both Oracle XSLT and Xalan flag it as an error as well.

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/