RE: math calculations between successive siblings

Subject: RE: math calculations between successive siblings
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:18:55 +0100

> I would like to insert
> filler rows of the appropriate height between the 'event' rows so that
> the resulting table scales appropriately.

> fillheight = propconstant*(node[i].starttime - (node[i-1].starttime +
> node[i-1].duration))

<xsl:variable name="fillheight">
  <xsl:choose>
  <xsl:when test="preceding-sibling::event">
    <xsl:value-of select="starttime - (preceding-sibling::event/starttime +
preceding-sibling::event/duration)"/>
  </xsl:when>
  <xsl:otherwise>0</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:variable>

Mike Kay

> I have XML like the following:
>
> <event>
>     <starttime>9</starttime>
>     <duration>3</duration>
> </event>
> <event>
>     <starttime>13</starttime>
>     <duration>1</duration>
> </event>
>

> How do I get a template to communicate with future instantiations of
> itself

You don't, you write a function that does a calculation taking its input
from nodes of the source tree.

> I haven't been able to get variables to work

You're not yet another Microsoft victim, are you?

Mike Kay