RE: microsoft latest, bug with extension elements?

Subject: RE: microsoft latest, bug with extension elements?
From: Andrew Kimball <akimball@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:33:13 -0700

Sebastian,

1. Your first example is a bug that we should have caught (it basically
makes extension elements useless, since no attributes can be used on them).

2. Your second example is actually by design.  When we parse an XML
document, we strip all non-significant (no xml:space in scope) space by
default and replace it with bit flags that mark where space existed at one
time (this cuts down the memory footprint significantly).  When the document
is passed to the XSL processor, the processor cannot determine what
whitespace was originally present within the xsl:text element, so it outputs
a single space by default.  There are several ways to get the output you
desire, ordered from least expensive (in terms of parse time and memory
usage):
	- Use an entity to specify a significant whitespace character --
<xsl:text>&#xA;</xsl:text>
	- Use xml:space on the xsl:text element -- <xsl:text
xml:space="preserve">(CR here)</xsl:text>
	- Instruct the parser to preserve all space --
dom.preserveWhiteSpace = true before calling dom.load

~Andy Kimball
MSXSL Dev