RE: XHTML to PDF ( was Re: RTF and PDF )

Subject: RE: XHTML to PDF ( was Re: RTF and PDF )
From: Jeff Hamilton <jhamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 17:52:51 -0400

Greetings:

	I have investigated some of these possibilites.  Remember
PDF is a complicated binary file format so creating it directly with
XSL would be difficult.

	FOP is an alternative, but I am unsure of the performance
of these rendering engines.  The last time I looked they were too
slow to use in production volume scenarios.

	What I ended up doing was using XSL to create Adobe
FDF format documents and send them to the browser with the
application/vnd.fdf MIME type.  This causes Acrobat Reader to
be invoked and the resulting FDF and PDF merged to form a
PDF in the browser.  It works pretty well and allows the user
to create a PDF with any graphical tool.  Just remember you
can't change the layout of the PDF at runtime.

Regards,

Jeff Hamilton.

>I was wondering if someone already thought of creating an XSL
>stylesheet to render XHTML pages to PDF.

>From XHTML, you could have a web version and a print version.
>That would be very nice.

>Regards,
>Jerome.

>At 22:55 25/07/00 +0400, Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:
>Ben,
>
> > >  - Using XSL FO, implemented by Apache's FOP, RenderX, and PassiveTeX
> >
> > Everyone keeps leading me back to Apache's FOP...
>
>Not necessarily to FOP, yet to some XSL FO formatter - unless you're strong
>enough to write a direct transformation from your XML to RTF (this is surely
>possible using <xsl:output method="text", but is unlikely to be a slack ;-)).
>For a primer, this link may be of help:
>
>www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/education/transforming-xml/xmltopdf/index.
>html
>
>It is an IBM tutorial that uses FOP. Be careful: things evolve as new XSL FO
>drafts are being implemented, so what you find there may not correspond
>fully to
>the actual state of FOP engine. Still it may be useful to have a look there. I
>also suggest looking at our example at http://www.renderx.com/hammer.html.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Nikolai Grigoriev
>RenderX

__
  - Jerome Thebert - Schlumberger RMS - Felixstowe (UK) - http://www.slb.com
       Direct Phone: (0044)(0)1394 694226 - Shared Fax: (0044)(0)1394 276030