Checking for empty values

Subject: Checking for empty values
From: Madhu Menon <madhu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:51:42 +0530

Hello.

Forgive me for asking newbie questions, but it's only because I'm a newbie :)

I want to have my XSL stylesheet evaluate to see if a tag exists or the value is blank. How do I do this using <xsl:if> or <xsl:when> ?

For example, take the following schema:

<library>

<book>
	<name>Hound of the Baskervilles</name>
	<author>Sir Arthur Conan Doyle</author>
</book>

</library>

In the second record, the <author> data is not available. I want to check for this (or the tags being empty) and then conditionally produce the output. What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Madhu