RE: XSL rendering on IE 5

Subject: RE: XSL rendering on IE 5
From: "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 01:23:00 +0200

I couldn't agree more.

There is an anti Microsoft complex that can only be harmful for everybody.

I couldn't agree more with the need to control the "agressive marketing"
(inside quotes because of being such an under statement) of Microsot and
its destructive consequences.

But there is a lot of good stuff comming from that direction too, and
that good stuff should be encouraged.

Let's encourage what is good and discoourage what is evil.

In the case of this list, I feel that some of the bashing is specially
unfair. I agree that the initial IE5 version of MSXML was crap BUT:
 - You must remember when it was produced;
 - You must consider the quite impressive evolution of MSXML since
   the start of this "Technology Preview" program.

The MSXML development team IS:
 - Making a very impressive development work. Impressive in the
   evolution pace of both:
     - features;
     - performance;
     - stability.
 - Being quite honest about the present bugs (there is a link to
   the bug list in the same page that presents the link to the
   download);
 - Being honest about non-implemented features (even if not
   promoting a lot of suicidal negative marketing on it, which no
   one does);
 - Keeping documentation with a very good level of quality, in
   the SDK (again with a link in the same page). Especially if we
   consider that it is a product under development.

And remember that MSXML is free.

IMHO, MSXML3 is a good thing. Why discouraging it just because it
comes from Microsoft?

Does it make sense to discourage Microsoft both when it is beeing
bad and when it is beeing good?
Then it makes no difference, isn'it? Where is our (consumers)
positive pressure then?

Have fun,

Paulo Gaspar