RE: header/footer: How to to separate html-tag in to different xs l-template rules?

Subject: RE: header/footer: How to to separate html-tag in to different xs l-template rules?
From: Linda van den Brink <lvdbrink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:12:38 +0200

> How could I separate headers and footers in my xsl-templates?
> My problem
>
> is, that I cannot have a tag like "body" in an
> <xsl:template>, whithout
> closing it.
>
> So how to do:
>
> <xsl:template match="header">
>   <head>
>   </head>
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="footer">
>  </xsl:template>

You need to change the way you look at this. Remember that your XML
document, the input, has a tree structure, and the XSLT processor also wants
to output a tree structure. The processor walks through the input tree and
fires up the template that matches each element it encounters.

So if you have:

<document>
<header>stuff</header>
<middlepart>more</middlepart>
<footer>end</footer>
</document>

and

xsl:template match="document"

and templates for header, middlepart, and footer, the xsl:apply-templates
will cause the processor to fire up the header, middlepart, and footer
templates one after the other and the output will be generated for these
elements inside the <body> element.

Hope this helps,
Linda