RE: (Inlined CSS properties) - A dynamic quantity of variables?

Subject: RE: (Inlined CSS properties) - A dynamic quantity of variables?
From: Svante Schubert <sus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 18:14:27 GMT

> > The problem comes with the storage and access of the property values.
> > As it is obvious that certain styles occur quite often in the body the
> > styles should be (for performance reasons) created once in the
> > beginning and later recalled.

> If performance is the concern, wouldn't it be better to generate HTML+CSS
> rather than putting all the specific style attributes on every HTML
element?

Hi Mike!

Of course your are right and I already done this for the new generation
browser.

This was our first goal was to create styles for these browsers, which
perfectly utilize CSS.
It is finished and now I am working on the output for other user agents.
Their output depends on the already inherited (collected) style
properties.

By the way Netscape 4.x has the strange behavior to recognise some
styles hard coded in the tag but not in the header style
(e.g. color - any list of them existing?).

    <head>
    <title>netscape oddity and CSS inheritance</title>
        <!--
        p.normal, p.big, p.red_Lily {   font-family:Avantgarde,Arial;
                                        font-weight:bold;
                                        font-size:  16pt;
                                        font-style: italic;
                                        color:green;
        }
        p.big, p.red_Lily           {   font-family:Helvetica;
                                        font-size:  10pt;
                                        color:blue;
        }
        p.red_Lily                  {   font-size:24pt;
                                        font-style: normal;
                                        font-weight:normal;
                                        color:red;
        }
        //-->
    </head>
                          textparagraph</p>

                  font-size:24pt;
                  font-style: normal;
                  font-weight:normal;
                  color:red;">Helvetica 24pt red textparagraph</p>

This works fine in the "Netscape 6 Preview Release 1" and "Internet
Explorer 5.x".

cheers,

Svante