Re: Empty element revisited

Subject: Re: Empty element revisited
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 10:34:16 +0100 (BST)

> When an empty element looks like this:
>
> <Section DocStruc="DS69871" Type="32" Level="1">
> </Section>

That element isn't empty, it has a newline as character data.

> MSXML3 outputs:
> Test OK!

well it shouldn't, unless you have specified Section as an element that
has white space stripped.

> When the ending tag is on the same row it works with Saxon as well.
> <Section DocStruc="DS69871" Type="32" Level="1"></Section>

In that case the element is empty.

> How do I solve it?

Send a bug report to MS. (although I seem to remember some comment
about white space handling in their list of known issues)

If you want to test if an element has no character data after any white
space is removed, you might prefer

<xsl:if test='normalize-space(.)=""'>

David