'%' in output attributes?

Subject: '%' in output attributes?
From: David Engberg <dave.engberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:55:13 -0700

Didn't see this one in the FAQ or histories, although it's closely related to the '&' in attributes question ...

I want to produce HTML links that contain escaped characters, but when I put this in XSL:
It turns into this in HTML (Saxon 5.1, IBM's XML parser):
Notice that the intended "%2B" got escaped to "%252B".

Browsers seem to handle the '&amp;' in the URLs by translating to '&', but the escaped '%252B' goes all the way through to the server when the link is clicked.

The only way I have found to get an unescaped '%' into output HTML so far has been by constructing the link manually using <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">, but I know that's a sign I'm doing something wrong. Anyone know the right way to do this?