problem specifying string parameter from the command line

Subject: problem specifying string parameter from the command line
From: Josh Lubell <lubell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 15:07:01 -0400

I need to pass a string value with embedded white space as a parameter
from the command line to an XSLT stylesheet. I have attempted to do this
using XT and also using the command line utility for Xalan, but have
been unsuccessful.

For example, consider the following XML document:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<hello>Hello</hello>

and the following stylesheet:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
<xsl:param name="person">John Doe</xsl:param>
  <xsl:template match="hello">
select="$person"/></p>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Using the Win32 executable for XT, if I give the command

xt hello.xml hello.xsl person='Bill'

XT generates an HTML document that displays "Hello, Bill"

However, if I give the command

xt hello.xml hello.xsl person='Bill Gates'

XT fails to produce output.

I tried using double quotes as delimeters instead of single quotes, but
XT still chokes.

I have the same problem with Xalan:

java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process  -in hello.xml -xsl helloparam.xsl
-param person "'Bill'"

works fine, but

java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process  -in hello.xml -xsl helloparam.xsl
-param person "'Bill Gates'"

does not.

Does anyone know what's causing my problem?

Thanks,
Josh