Re: document()-function, using 2 arguments

Subject: Re: document()-function, using 2 arguments
From: michael gruber <gruberm@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 16:33:31 +0200

Hai!

Thank you  for helping Mr. Holman...
I have played around the 2nd thing of document(), its really clearer now
(although not totally...)

> Recall that every node in the source and stylesheet node trees has a "Base
> URI" being the URI of the entity in which the node is found when read by
> the XML processor inside the XSLT processor.

OK

> Recall also that if you do not supply a second argument to the document()
> function then the a relative first argument value is resolved relative to
> the stylesheet node's base URI (hence, relative to the subdirectory in
> which the stylesheet is found).  If you do supply a second argument to the
> document() function, a relative first argument is resolved relative to the
> base URI of the node in the supplied second argument.

Here I have problems...
I think when not supplying a second argument the relative first argument s
resolved relative to the base URI of itself.
When your node of the first argument is part of an external entity  its
base-URI is the directory where this entity is physically stored, and that's
the place where saxon / xt
are looking for the file...
When you want the style's destination as second argument it's done by
document($mynode, document('')).
(I've read in the spec once again, and I think it's right)

As said: saxon and xt do so, xalan doesn't.
Xalan always looks at the base-URI of the first argument...

michael