Re: Microsoft XSL and Conformance

Subject: Re: Microsoft XSL and Conformance
From: Phil Lanch <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:52:33 +0000

Dan Morrison wrote:

> IMO, nested templates are an extremely useful metaphor, and to take back

> They now have a WISYWIG, Frontpage-safe(!) template document that can be
> modified using any brain-dead tool and still trickle down to create the
> navbar on every single page.

> Out of context (say an item is a TR row) the non-nested template makes
> no visual sense.
> No existing tool will help you tune the layout.

perhaps i don't grasp what you're doing in enough detail, but what do you
want to do you can't do with xsl:for-each?  if you're saying something
like-

<xsl:apply-templates select="nav_item">
  <xsl:template match="nav_item">
    something
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:apply-templates>

-then that's (presumably) exactly equivalent to-

<xsl:for-each select="nav_item">
  something
</xsl:for-each>

--

cheers

phil

"I may not always have been satisfactorily balanced;
I always tended to argue that objectivity was of less importance
than truth, and that the reporter whose technique was informed
by no opinion lacked a very serious dimension."