Re: xml & forms revisited

Subject: Re: xml & forms revisited
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 19:02:13 -0800

Hi Eric,

Very cool. Probably it is the best possible 'pure'
and 'clean'  way to get the environment  passed to
XSLT without dirty tricks.

PXSLServlet ( dirty trick by definition ) solves this
problem in another way, attaching the environment
variables into XML *source*  document.

That means  in the  stylesheet  we have  only
<xsl:value-of select="/request/variable"/>
or something like that.  ( It is flexible - S2X Template
determines the actual names for 'request' and 'variable'. )

Of course, that's because in PXSLServlet's universe
there is "S2X magician", responsiple for grabbing
XML data from the outher space ( mostly
SQL database), and  because environment  of http request
is "yet-another-data-source" -  those data are pulled
into source XML by S2X template and do not go to the
stylesheet. "stylesheet is about processing, S2X template
is about the dataflow ( XML-to-process )".

In the absence of S2X 'magician' there is no way to
compose the desired source XML on the fly, so
your solution is perfect from my point of view.

Just wanted to explain what I meant yesterday saying
that  "in PXSLServlet,  XML is about the data and XSL is about
the processing"

- in your universe some data are jumping into the text of stylesheet
- in PXSLServlet universe - data are jumping into XML source, stylesheet
assumes the data are already in the XML-document-to-be-processed
( the stylesheet tries to be 'ideal'  ;-)

My universe has a lot of other problems of course ;-) Also your  'jumping'
of data into the stylesheet  is very compact - just a couple of lines.
That means I realy don't think my universe is in any way 'better' than
your's - just wanted to show some other point of view ( BTW, the PXSLServlet's
tactics with the environment variables explained above is just a side-effect of
SQL -> XML mapping).

I realy enjoyed  your code.

Rgds.Paul.