RE: large and small numbers in xsl

Subject: RE: large and small numbers in xsl
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:18:50 -0000

> Can XSL handle large and small numbers
Yes
> specified in 1e-157 or 1.1e+12 notation.
No

> Results of numerical comparisons (greater than, less than) seem
> pretty random using this format.
1.1e+12 is not a number in XSLT so if you do a numeric comparison it is
treated as NaN; all less than and greater than comparisons with NaN yield
false.

> The xpath recomendation states that all numbers are treated as
> double-precision 64-bit format IEEE 754 value and points to a
> description of this that I can't totally get to grips with.

I found the description in the Java Language Spec reasonably penetrable,
though as with SQL three-valued logic, some operations have results that
defy one's previous expectations.

Mike Kay