ANN: RenderX site updated

Subject: ANN: RenderX site updated
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:11:57 +0300

Dear all,

this is to inform you that we have (finally) updated our site
( http://www.RenderX.com ) with some new stuff. The site is
now XML/XSLT-based: every HTML page has a PDF counterpart
(generated via XSL FO) and a Palm Pilot (plain old HTML) version;
there's also a sympatic Palm emulator written in JavaScript, to
demonstrate the concept. There is also a PDF brochure that
embraces the contents of the whole site. All this is generated
from the same XML source by several XSLT stylesheets.

No, we still provide no support for the recent (Jan 12) XSL FO draft ;-).

New functionality has been added to our XSL FO formatter:
after a long torture, we have implemented tables. Table support is
sound though not complete. Among other, we have implemented:

* all table-related FOs except for <fo:table-caption> and <fo:caption>;
* full support for complex table topology:
   - cells spanning several columns & rows,
   - explicit cell assignment to a column (using 'column-number'),
   - inherited spanning specifiers from column descriptors, and more;
* borders & background in tables. Only one CSS model is now supported -
  separate-borders;
* explicit setting of column width / row height;
* automatic column width balancing in a fixed layout model;
* nested tables.

Most salient deficiencies:
- automatic table layout from CSS2;
- collapsed borders model;
- vertical alignment in tables;
- table captions.

Our XSL FO test suite now contains about 20 new test cases,
including an assortment of table-related ones.

Another curiosity is a beta version of an FO stylesheet for
XMLspec DTD 2.0, available at http://www.RenderX.com/xmlspec.html .
There you can find results of its application to W3C Recommendations:
XMLnames, XSLT, and XPath . (It's a pity that no XML source
for XSL FO WD has been published). PDFs produced by our renderer
are also exposed (not always splendid, I confess ;-)).

Please come and see.

Regards,
Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX