Keeping entities of source file (was:Testing the number of child elements)

Subject: Keeping entities of source file (was:Testing the number of child elements)
From: Emmanuel Pietriga <emmanuel.pietriga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:59:53 +0100

Thanks. It works fine!

But I still have a problem I forgot to mention.

My source file contains <mo> elements   with content like &PlusMinus;
And I want this to go unchanged into the output file.
I tried overriding the default    xsl:template match="text()|@*"    and
putting
<xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"><xsl:value-of
select="."/></xsl:text>   but xsl:text doesn't want any element inside
it.

Also, I tried xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="."/>
and "no".  In both cases I get &amp;PlusMinus;

The source is:
and contains entity <!ENTITY PlusMinus "&amp;PlusMinus;">

Is there any way to achieve what I want, besides outputing the UNICODE
character value?

Emmanuel.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> You need to prevent your processor from seeing an entity, so the
answer is
> simply
> &amp;InvisibleTimes;

er no, if you'd tried that you would have found that it didn't work.
(You get  &amp;InvisibleTimes; as th eoutput unless you are writing
text rather than xml)

Going back to the original posting

> with <!ENTITY  invti "&InvisibleTimes;">  and I update the ...

No that just defines &inverti; to be &InvisibleTimes; which is not
defined. What you need to do is define "&InvisibleTimes;
preferably by just including the.ent files from the mathml.dtd
in which case you get character data output.

However unfortunately you currently _need_ to have &xxx; syntax for
amaya (which is certainly a bug in amaya, which I keep meaning to
report)
so for amaya I use a special set of entity definitions that look like

<!ENTITY InvisibleTimes
   "<xsl:text
   disable-output-escaping='yes'>&amp;InvisibleTimes</xsl:text>" >

David

--
emmanuel.pietriga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx               |  Xerox Research Centre Europe
Document Model and Transformation Technologies |  6, Chemin de Maupertuis