RE: Using Entity References in XSL Templates

Subject: RE: Using Entity References in XSL Templates
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:14:44 -0000

> When I sit down at an editor, and wish to enter some character
> which is not on my keyboard; wanting to present it such that it reads
> on 'most' browsers in html, whats the sequence I must consider?

In principle, just write the Unicode value as a character reference, e.g.
&#x039B; for Greek capital lambda.

The problem is it will only display correctly if (a) the user has an
up-to-date browser (I can't give you exact details on what's supported in
which version of what product), and (b) the user has a font installed that
includes a glyph for the relevant character.

If you want to display esoteric characters and have them work on every
browser in the world, it's still necessary to use GIFs.

Mike Kay