Re: XML parsers and entity references (was RE: Using Entity Reference s in XSL Templates)

Subject: Re: XML parsers and entity references (was RE: Using Entity Reference s in XSL Templates)
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:23:43 GMT

> I'm not that familiar with what parsers do
me neither:-)
but a parser used with xslt has to send it the information items
specified in the xslt spec, and that means entity references expanded as
nature intended. (despite the fact that the dom tree has entity ref
nodes:-)

Of course it would probably have been better if the xml 1.0 spec had
actually said at the start what information was to result from a parse,
it's all sort of hidden away in there. I assume no parser bothers to
remember whether you used " or ' or used one or two spaces between some
attributes, but some do (unfortunately) remember whether you used an
entity ref, or a cdata section.

But me, I'm a pure mathematician not a parser writer*. I can describe
the world as it ought to be, not as it is.

David

* I just implemented a (more or less working) XML/Namespace parser in
  TeX, but TeX isn't a real programming language, so this doesn't count,
  does it?