RE: for-each and variables

Subject: RE: for-each and variables
From: "Larry Mason" <Larry_Mason@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:07:00 -0600

> > Can anyone tell me why the following will not work?
>
> >  <xsl:variable name="temp">data/row</xsl:variable>
> >    <xsl:for-each select="$temp">

>Because $temp is a result tree fragment consisting of a text node with the
>string of character data 'data/row'.
>
>The value of a select="" must be an XPath expression that evaluates to a
>node-set.
>
>Change the variable assignment to
><xsl:variable name="temp" select="data/row"/>
>and it will work.

Many thanks to all who responded.  My problem stems from "some_text_here" looks
like a string to me as does "$variable_here".  Just depends on when the
"expansion"
would occur from text in the XSL to the node set.  Anyway, with everyone's
input,
I now have the template using a param variable for the selection and the caller
uses the above suggestion for building the elusive node-set !!

Cheers!
Larry