RE: XSLT and XPath Recommendations

Subject: RE: XSLT and XPath Recommendations
From: "Vun Kannon, David" <dvunkannon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:17:12 -0500

	Congratulations to James and the WG teams that made this possible.

	I've already shared my wish list for version 2. Besides filling in
the edges of version 1 (all the set operations in the spec, instead of
extension functions, for instance), I feel the most pressing driver for v.2
is alignment of XSLT with XSchema, and vice versa. The two specs need to
inform each other at a deep level. Regex needs to work the same in each,
XPath expressions need to understand the node type hierarchy, etc.
	I believe that an important use of XSLT/XPath will be to express
declarative constraints within an XSchema. Taking an analogy to SQL, XSchema
is similar to the data definition sublanguage and XSLT is similar to the
data manipulation sublanguage. SQL uses the data manipulation language
(SELECT, etc.) inside the data definition language to express constraints
such as CHECK constraints and assertions. I hope a consideration of this use
will be a factor in the continuing design of the language.
Cheers,
David vun Kannon