RE: Variables, Functions and node-set-expression

Subject: RE: Variables, Functions and node-set-expression
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 12:44:43 -0700

> is something like this allowed?
>
> <xsl:for-each select="//name($mynode)">
> </xsl:for-each>

The select argument must identify a node-set. // is a good start,
identifying the descendant-or-self axis. But name($mynode) is a function
that returns a string. It would need to return a node-set. It would be nice
if a string could be something that could be further parsed to help identify
a node-set, but here the data object needs to *be* a node-set.

The axis narrows down the pool of candidates, and what comes after it should
further refine that pool. It's not clear what set of nodes you're trying to
identify for use in your for-each loop. To further advise you, we need you
to complete this sentence: "from the set of nodes along the
descendants-or-self axis, I want nodes that..." (Usually it's something like
"...nodes that are elements named 'foo'").