Re[2]: Re:XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign

Subject: Re[2]: Re:XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign
From: KAREN_LEICHEL@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 14:21:12 -0600

KAREN_LEICHEL@xxxxxxxx writes:

 >> One thing I don't understand in all this discussion is why you
 >> would even want to use InDesign.

>because its there?

 >> but why use a tank to do a jeep's job?

>because we do not have a jeep to hand.

    Why not? I'm just suggesting that the full program with all the bells   and
whistles isn't necessary for this use. Please let know me if I'm    wrong in
this assumption, since I am new to XML. It seems to me that
    this is an inapproriate program for SGML design layout, with which I    am
very familiar. It doesn't allow enough pages for our documents. Of  course, we
have to break up books to run them in Arbortext Publisher   too. Or Frame, or
Acrobat. But I can run as many pages/frames as  needed in PageStream or IADS.

 >> You still have to have Photoshop and Illustrator to do the
 >> heavy-duty graphic fixes

>not sure of the relevance of this. I have never used Photoshop, and
>have not used Illustrator since 1986, presumably because I don't do
>much bitmap graphics, and generate my vector graphics myself. what
>does that prove?
Maybe if the layout engine could be sold separately and not require everything
else, it would be a viable choice. I'm sure all that speed, RAM, and disk space
is only needed for the interfaces with Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc.
Still, although you only want to use the layout engine, tech writers will
probably be more at home with the UI. I am the only tech writer here that codes
directly in SGML. Everyone else uses a UI. These UI's, whether we like it or
not, will be the XML tools of the documentation world. Unless someone gives us a
better choice.

 >>  so you're into major money and memory to do
 >> these things. The fact that InDesign is a "good" layout engine will
 >> not be enough.

>to be honest, even I can earn enough in half a day to buy all the
>memory that I might need to run InDesign.....

    I could buy the memory, but not the speed. I don't have Pentium IIs     yet
and don't want to buy a new motherboard or computer to get them     so I can get
InDesign, which does the same thing as Quark does on my     current computers.

    If you make enough in half a day to buy a Pentium II motherboard,   then you
aren't a tech writer here.

    I also am not running 98 yet. My company took two years to go to 95     in
the Pubs department, while the engineers and programmers got it
    immediately if they wanted it. I think that is typical.

From: "Sebastian Rahtz" <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:49:23 +0000 (GMT)
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: emuller@xxxxxxxxx, XSL-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx