RE: MIF output from XT

Subject: RE: MIF output from XT
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:00:31 -0500

Hi Christopher,

If you choose to use DSSSL to transform XML into MIF then you'll have to
work with intermediary formatting objects like you would do with XSL
formatting objects. DSSSL is not necessarily better than XSL nor is the
contrary but the main DSSSL engine named OpenJade which is the result of an
international team effort has a MIF backend plug-in as well as a RTF, SGML,
TeX backend plug-in.

Originally this tool was the product of James Clark and the OpenJade team
took the relay. Actually, the team just released the 1.3 version and is in
the course to release the 1.4 version.

If you want information about DSSSL go to: http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL
You'll find there a lot of resource for this language and a support group of
users ready to help you in your learning.

As I said, DSSSL is not necessarily better than XSL neither is the contrary,
it is just different and it happens that it has a MIF backend already
developed, is very mature and well maintained by an international team of
developers. It is free and Open source. it is also fast because it is
implemented in C++.

Hope this may help you

Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx