RE: A theory problem

Subject: RE: A theory problem
From: crism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Christopher R. Maden)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:54:20 -0700

[un-Jeopardy!-izing]

[James Clark]
>> A path expression has the property if
>>
>> (a) it doesn't use / and the axis is a forward axis, or
>>
>> (b) it is a / expression, and the left hand operand has the
>> "single-level" property and the right hand operand has the
>> "stays-in-subtree" property.

[Michael Kay]
>This is nice and clean, but it doesn't seem to catch
>child::A/child::B/child::C.

Do you mean as a select or as a match pattern?  As a select, child::A is
single-level and child::B has stays-in-subtree; taken together,
child::A/child::B is single-level and child::C has stays-in-subtree.

So it seems to me that the compound expression meets the criteria for (b).

As a match pattern, nothing can be assumed to be single-level unless it's
anchored at the root.

-Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Exemplary Technologies