Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:56:26 -0400

At 99/10/26 21:39 -0400, disco wrote:
But that misses
the point: Transformations should *absolutely* take place on the client
side for several reasons:

I disagree.

I may wish to protect my investment in rich markup, business rules, design practices and proprietary information by *always* transforming my information to a presentation language (say, HTML) or to some other abstract language requiring downstream simple stylesheet application.

- from an idealist's standpoint, having the pre-transformation xml on the
client side maintains the semantics of the original data, and in the case
of a lossy tranformation maintains the data itself as well.

But what if I need a semantic firewall ... something to either "protect" my data, or to leverage my data into two kinds of product: one semantic-less or semantic-free to one set of clients, and one semantic-rich to customers willing to pay me more for that richness?

- from a pragmatist's standpoint, there's no reason those valuable
processing cycles shouldn't be split up between the clients requesting the
data, because a server's job is to serve data as fast as it can.

.... as fast as it can in a form appropriate for the audience.

The flow of control Sean proposes for dealing with things given current
technology is fine (I can't think of a better way of dealing with things),
but misses these two pretty key points...

....that are quite broad in nature and can hide opportunities that may not be immediately apparent.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/