RE: XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign

Subject: RE: XSL FOs -> PDF using InDesign
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 11:19:17 -0400

Hi James,

James said:
-------------------------
Yes, you have caught me out! ;-)

Your restating of the choices is certainly
more illuminating that my original description.

However, what no-one has addressed is that
to use the XML->FO->MIF route, you are limited
to only those features that are supported by
_both_ formats.

To be absolutely clear: you cannot use anything
in MIF that is not defined in the FO. And you cannot
use anything in the FO that cannot be implemented
by Frame.

I would personally prefer to use a straight
transformation tool (XSLT or Omnimark, Perl, etc),
and avoid the limitations the FOs may impose.

Didier says:
---------------------------
James do you have an example of where the actual FOs may be insufficient for
a MIF translation?
Paul (Prescod), because you already did that in OpenJade(1) but with DSSSL
FOs, do you know if there could be some limitations with XSL FOs?
My guess is that we would not have less restrictions with XSL FOs than we
have with DSSSL FOs. In both case, maybe some problems with fixed positioned
FOs :-) but except this common limitation, XSL FOs may cover a lot of MIF
constructs. However, Paul can say more than me, he has more knowledge on
this kind of translation. Paul, can you give us some light on this?

(1) called at that time Jade

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx