RE: Scalability problem

Subject: RE: Scalability problem
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 14:44:00 +0100

>> For the benefit of the editor,
>Why be kind to editors? but anyway...

'cos I'm the editor in question<grin/>

>> in doc.xml, it fails because of the contained
>> doctype declaration in the files sectn.xml
>
>One possibility is to make the source files of each section _not_
>have a doctpe then have each sect1.xml just consist of the DOCTYPE
>and an entity reference to the file containing the body of the section.
>The doc.xml similarly can refer to the three files with the section
>bodies, not the sectn.xml files.

Just testing understanding..
doc has entities which refer to sect content
sect-header-n also refers to same entities?
(bypassing the header files?)

>> Fine.... except I want to use <xsl:number
>> to have consistant numbering across the suite
>> of documents (Implies I need all 3 sections
>> visible / part of the same source tree????)
>
>If making the entire document visible to the XSL processor just to
>get the numbers right is too large a price to pay you could make the
>starting section number (and any other context information)
>a parameter of the stylesheet so you could go

No, with the above solution, I have figured out I can use
the section number (position()) to get the section numbering,
apparently xt has no problems with big files, its just me :-)

I might even post a demo solution (now that would be a first).

Thanks David. Appreciated.

Regards, DaveP