Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format

Subject: Re: foo ... bar Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:44:59 +0100 (BST)

> The claim was : "XSL FO is weak  because 'typical day-to-day
> formatters' can do running headers' and XSL FO based - can not"
> I'm trying to get the  real-life example that will show that this
> claim is correct in both parts.

What is a `day to day formatter'? Many of us here use TeX every day.
This has a reasonably expressive mark system that allows running heads
to have text based on the first or last mark on the page (or the last
mark on an earlier page). Thus the kind of dictionary example that
Sebastian mentioned are easy to implement. A slightly easier example
is the kind of head that James mentioned that changes if a section
starts mid page. That is the default latex behaviour for the \section
command.

David