Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format

Subject: Re: Q: XML+XSL transforms to a print-ready format
From: "James Tauber" <jtauber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 07:38:19 -0400

> I wish you would show me, then, how to do a simple dictionary layout,
> where the running head is
>  foo ... bar
> where "foo" is the first headword on the page, and "bar" is the last.
> yes, I know this is very obscure for many people, its what I call a
> production environment. Yes, this is probably an XSL FO question, not
> a RenderX question.

Yes, this is an XSL question. I want this too but I don't think it is going
to be in 1.0. I will probably add support for this in FOP at some stage
(using my own namespace for the moment).

It doesn't seem obscure to me. My one and only self-publishing effort used
dictionary headings. I published a book in 1994 "Index to the Greek New
Testament", that was multi-column, multi-lingual, with dictionary headings.
It was produced from SGML using custom C code and LaTeX 2e. I used macros
written by Piet Van Oostrum for the dictionary headings.

The whole thing took two weeks, most of which was taken up designing my own
METAFONT font.

It established in my mind what a "real" typesetting language needs to be
capable of, although I didn't have anything like synchronised marginalia
which I would also expect in production systems.

James