Re: Abbreviated syntax

Subject: Re: Abbreviated syntax
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:56:49 +0100 (BST)

> I'm working with an older xml-parser, not capable dealing with syntax
> like:

> attribut::

Note it isn't the XML parser that understands these, it is the xpath/xslt
engine (although in some systems these are in the same executable file)
but to an XML parser the xsl attributes are just character data.

> Where, except in the "XML Path Language", can I find information about
> the abbreviated syntax for this.
You probably want an _old_ draft of the XSL (or XSLT spec, to match your
system, but since you don't say what that is, it's hard to know.

> The syntax I have problem with is the following:

following::
child::
parent::

well depending on how old your system is the syntax might be
following::xxx used to be from-following(xxx) or it might not be
supported at all.
child::xxx used to be from-children(xxx) but since you can just use xxx
this shouldn't be a problem.

parent::xxx used to be from-parent(xxx) or just ..

David