RE: meaning of "contain" in the XSLT spec

Subject: RE: meaning of "contain" in the XSLT spec
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 12:22:20 -0600

James Clark wrote:
> "containing" means "parent", but the key point is that
> it's talking about the *result* tree not the stylesheet
> tree

I figured that's what you meant, and I appreciate the clarification.

I do not have any suggestions for a way to add emphasis to this point in the
spec, since "Instantiating an xsl:attribute element adds an attribute node
to the containing result element node" is as accurate and concise as it
gets.

> (which should be clear from the fact that it says
> "result element node").

Yes, it makes sense to me now. It wasn't so clear because you quoted, among
other things, Michael Kay's assertion that "containing" can mean ancestor as
well as parent, and said that he was correct.

Getting back to the original problem, the original poster was claiming that
this wasn't working for him:

> <label>
>   <xsl:attribute name="id">myLabelId</xsl:attribute>
>   <xsl:choose>
>     <xsl:when test=". = ''">
>       <xsl:attribute name="style">MyStyleEmpty</xsl:attribute>
>     </xsl:when>
>     <xsl:otherwise>
>       <xsl:attribute name="style">MyStyleFull</xsl:attribute>
>     </xsl:otherwise>
>   </xsl:choose>
>   The Label
> </label>

Upon testing with XT, I see that it does actually work as intended. I should
have tested with XT before assuming he was correct and looking for an
interpretation of the spec that supported his assertion. I apologize for the
bandwidth.

Thanks again,
Mike